Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Apocryphal Mozart Symphonies (and more) on "Vivace"

I'm delighted to join the online blogging crew.  And I hope you'll make a regular date to join me for Vivace on WTJU (Friday mornings, 6-9 am).

As you listen to the program over the summer, you'll hear me play one of Mozart's apocryphal symphonies each week.  This Friday, I'll play Symphony No. 45. Most people are familiar with Mozart's symphonies up to No. 41, even though some of those are of uncertain origin.  However, beyond those, there are others, usually numbered 42-55, which were later attributed to him and which are rarely heard.

All the apocryphal symphonies have been recorded by the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields.  They are, as you might expect, sensitive, faithful recordings, expertly performed, and it is those recordings which will be featured on Vivace, usually sometime between 7 and 9 am.  I hope you'll tune in: enjoy fine classical music on a fine summer morning - and all year long!

This Friday, June 7, we have another special treat for you:  my esteemed co-host, Andrew O'Shanick is spending the summer in Austria, but you can hear his splendid singing voice this Friday on Vivace. As ever, thanks so much for listening to WTJU!

No comments:

Post a Comment